0 回复

干货!9分达人TEST 4 READING PASSAGE 1 真题演练!

上一篇 下一篇 我123 发表于:2016-09-09 11:35 浏览(2019) 分享到微博

TEST 4

READING PASSAGE 1

You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 1-13, which are based on

Reading Passage 1 below.

T-rex: Hunter or Scavenger?

Jack Horner is an unlikely academic: his dyslexia is so bad that he has trouble reading a

book. But he can read the imprint of life in sandstone or muddy shale across a distance of

100 years, and it is this gift that has made him curator of palaeontology at Montana State

University’s Museum of the Rockies, the leader of a multi-million dollar scientific project

to expose a complete slice of life 68 million years ago, and a consultant to Steven Spielberg

and other Hollywood figures.

His father had a sand and gravel quarry in Montana, and the young Horner was a collector of stones and bones, complete with notes about when and where he found them. “My

father had owned a ranch when he was younger, in Montana,” he says. “He was enough

of a geologist, being a sand and gravel man, to have a pretty good notion that they were

dinosaur bones. So when I was eight years old he took me back to the area that had been

his ranch, to where he had seen these big old bones. I picked up one. I am pretty sure it was

the upper arm bone of a duckbilled dinosaur: it probably wasn’t a duckbilled dinosaur but

closely related to that. I catalogued it, and took good care of it, and then later when I was in

high school, excavated my first dinosaur skeleton. It obviously started earlier than eight and

I literally have been driven ever since. I feel like I was born this way.”

Horner spent seven years at university, but never graduated. “I have a learning disability, I

would call it a learning difference — dyslexia, they call it — and I just had a terrible time

with English and foreign languages and things like that. For a degree in geology or biology

they required two years of a foreign language. There was no way in the world I could do

that. In fact, I didn’t really pass English. So I couldn’t get a degree, I just wasn’t capable of

it. But I took all of the courses required and I wrote a thesis and I did all sorts of things. So I

have the education, I just don’t have the piece of paper.” he says.

“We definitely know we are working on a very broad coastal plain with the streams and

rivers bordered by conifers and hardwood plants, and the areas in between these rivers were

probably fern-covered. There were no grasses at all: just ferns and bushes — an unusual

landscape, kind of taking the south-eastern United States — Georgia, Florida — and mixing

it with the moors of England and flattening it out,” he says. “Triceratops is very common:

they are the cows of the Cretaceous, they are everywhere. Duckbilled dinosaurs are relatively common but not as common as triceratops and T-rex, for a meat-eating dinosaur, is

very common. What we would consider the predator-prey ratio seems really off the scale.

What is interesting is the little dromaeosaurs, the ones we know for sure were good predators, are haven’t been found.”

That is why he sees T-rex not as the lion of the Cretaceous savannah but its vulture. “Look

at the wildebeest that migrate in the Serengeti of Africa, a million individuals lose about

200,000 individuals in that annual migration. There is a tremendous carrion base there.

And so you have hyenas, you have tremendous numbers of vultures that are scavenging,

you don’t have all that many animals that are good predators. If T-rex was a top predator,

especially considering how big it is, you’d expect it to be extremely rare, much rarer than

the little dromaeosaurs, and yet they are everywhere, they are a dime a dozen,” he says. A

12-tonne T-rex is a lot of vulture, but he doesn’t see the monster as clumsy. He insisted his

theory and finding, dedicated to further research upon it, of course, he would like to reevaluate if there is any case that additional evidence found or explanation raised by others in the

future.

He examined the leg bones of the T-rex, and compared the length of the thigh bone (upper

leg) to the shin bone (lower leg). He found that the thigh bone was equal in length or

slightly longer than the shin bone, and much thicker and heavier, which proves that the

animal was built to be a slow walker rather than fast running. On the other hand, the fossils

of fast hunting dinosaurs always showed that the shin bone was longer than the thigh bone.

This same truth can be observed in many animals of today which are designed to run fast:

the ostrich, cheetah, etc.

He also studied the fossil teeth of the T-rex, and compared them with the teeth of the

Velociraptor, and put the nail in the coffin of the “hunter T-rex theory”. The Velociraptor’s

teeth which like stake knifes: sharp, razor-edged, and capable of tearing through flesh with

ease. The T-rex’s teeth were huge, sharp at their tip, but blunt, propelled by enormous jaw

muscles, which enabled them to only crush bones.

With the evidence presented in his documentary, Horner was able to prove that the idea of

the T-rex as being a hunting and ruthless killing machine is probably just a myth. In light

of the scientific clues he was able to unearth, the T-rex was a slow, sluggish animal which

had poor vision, an extraordinary sense of smell, that often reached its “prey” after the real

hunters were done feeding, and sometimes it had to scare the hunters away from a corpse.

In order to do that, the T-rex had to have been ugly, nasty-looking, and stinky. This is actually true of nearly all scavenger animals. They are usually vile and nasty looking.

Questions 1-7

Do the following statements agree with the information given in Reading Passage 1?

In boxes 1-7 on your answer sheet, write

TRUE if the statement agrees with the information

FALSE if the statement contradicts the information

NOT GIVEN if there is no information in this passage

1 Jack Horner knew exactly that the bone picked up in his father’s ranch

belonged to a certain dinosaur when he was at the age of 8.

2 Jack Horner achieved a distinctive degree in university when he graduated.

3 Jack Horner believes that the number of prey should be more than that of

predators.

4 T-rex’s number is equivalent to the number of vulture in the Serengeti.

5 The hypothesis that T-rex is the top predator conflicts with the fact of predator-prey ratio which Jack found.

6 Jack Horner refused to accept any other viewpoints about T-rex’s theory.

7 Jack Horner is the first man that discovered T-rex’s bones in the world.

Questions 8-13

Complete the sentences below.

Choose NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS from the passage for each answer.

Write your answers in boxes 8-13 on your answer sheet.

Jack Horner found that T-rex’s 8 __________ is shorter than the thigh bone,

which demonstrates that it was actually a 9 __________, unlike other swift

animals such as ostrich or 10 ____________ that was built to 11 ____________.

Another explanation supports his idea is that T-rex’s teeth were rather

12 ____________, which only allowed T-rex to 13 ____________ hard bones

instead of tearing flesh like Velociraptor.

词汇详解

imprint n. 印记 ; 痕迹 ; 特征 ; 版本说明(作动词时, 意为“ 加特征 ; 刻上记号” ; 作名

词时, 近义词有 :mark, print, characteristic, trace。 在文章中,“ imprint of life” 表示“ 生

命印记”。)

consultant n. 顾问, 咨询者 ; 会诊医生(常用短语 : management consultant 管理顾问 ;

marketing consultant 营销顾问 ; consultant firm 咨询公司 ; consultant management 顾问工

程管理。 作“ 顾问” 讲时, 近义词有 : brain truster, counsellor ; 作“ 参事” 讲时, 等同

于 counsellor。)

quarry n. 采石场 ; 猎物 ; 来源 v. 费力地找, 挖出, 努力挖掘(文中是名词“ 采石场” 的

意思。 以“ quarry” 为词根衍生出来的单词有 :quarrier 凿石匠,采石工人 ;quarrying 采石 ;

quarryman 凿石匠, 采石工。)

ranch n. 大农场 ; 大牧场 v. 经营牧场 ; 在牧场工作 (相关词组有 :ranch house低矮的平房 ;

dude ranch 度假牧场, 观光牧场。)

excavate v. 发掘 ; 挖掘(雅思听力考试中经常出现, 近义词 : dig。)

skeleton n. 骨架, 骨骼 ; 纲要 adj. 骨骼的 ; 骨瘦如柴的 ; 概略的(文中出现时作名词,

意为“ 骨骼, 骨架”。)

literally adv. 照字面地 ; 不夸张地 ; 正确地 ; 简直(常见短语有 : literally true 表述真实 ;

literally walk 随便走走。)

thesis n. 论文 ; 论点(常见短语有 : graduation thesis 毕业论文, 毕业设计 ; thesis writing

论文写作 ; scientific thesis 科学论点 ; thesis defense 论文答辩。)

sort n. 分类, 类别 v. 挑选, 把……分类(文章中“ all sorts of” 表示“ 各种各样的”。)

definitely adv. 清楚地 ; 明确地, 肯定地(常见短语 : say definitely 明确地说。)

conifer n. 针叶树 ; 松柏科植物。

moor v. 系住 ; 使停泊 n. 沼泽 ; 荒野(作“ 系住” 讲时,近义表达有 bend on ; 作名词“ 沼泽 ; 荒野” 时, 近义词有 wild, cienaga。 文章中取其名词意思。)

tremendous adj. 极大的,巨大的 ; 惊人的(相关短语有 :tremendous effort 九牛二虎之力 ;

tremendous changes 巨大转变 ; tremendous popularity 巨大的人气, 好评如潮。)

predator n. 捕食者(近义词 : carnivore。)

clumsy adj. 笨拙的

reevaluate v. 再评估 ; 重新估计

coffin n. 棺材(相关短语有 : coffin chamber 墓室。“ When one’s coffin is covered, all discussion about him can be settled” 即“ 盖棺定论”。)

propel v. 推动, 驱使(近义词 : drive。)

sluggish adj. 萧条的 ; 迟钝的 ; 行动迟缓的 ; 懒惰的(文章中取其“ 行动迟缓的” 意思。

相关短语有 : sluggish world economy 衰退的世界经济 ; accelerate the sluggish economy 加

速经济萧条。)

scavenger n. 食腐动物 ; 清道夫 ; 清除剂 ; 拾荒者(文章中意为“ 食腐动物”。 作“ 清除剂 ;

清道夫” 讲时, 近义词有 : sweeper。)

题目详解

Questions 1-7

解 答

1. 利用题目细节信息“ the age of 8” 定位于原文第 2 段中间部分“ I am pretty sure it was

the upper arm bone of a duckbilled dinosaur”。 他非常确定这个骨头是鸭嘴龙的上臂骨。

原文内容与题目相符合, 因此, 正确答案为 TRUE。

2. 利用题目细节信息“ graduated” 定位于第 3 段第 1 句话“ Horner spent seven years at

university, but never graduated”。 很明显, 这里提及“ never graduated(从未毕业)”,

那就是没有取得任何学位。 题目信息与原文信息相矛盾, 所以正确答案为 FALSE。

3. 利用题目细节信息“ prey” 和“ predator” 定位到第 4 段倒数第 2 句“ What we would

consider the predator-prey ratio seems really off the scale”。 此句话是说“ 捕食者与被捕

者的比例似乎真的超出了标准”, 也就是说 Jack 认为如果霸王龙是捕食者, 那它的数

量就太多了, 比例失衡。 这就不符合 Jack 所坚持的捕食者数量小于被捕者数量的比

例标准。 这与题目所说的“ prey(被捕者)的数量应多于 predators(捕食者)的数量”

意思一致。 因此, 正确答案为 TRUE。

4. 利用题目细节信息“ Serengeti” 定位于原文第 5 段第 2 句及中间部分“ Look at the

wildebeest that migrate in the Serengeti of Africa, a million individuals lose about 200,000

individuals in that annual migration”,“ If T-rex was a top predator…and yet they are

everywhere, they are a dime a dozen”。 这里讲到牛羚的迁徙, 以及秃鹰和霸王龙各自所处的地位, 但并未提及题目中有关于秃鹰和霸王龙数量上相等的信息, 因此正确

答案为 NOT GIVEN。

5. 利用题目细节信息“ T-rex is top predator” 定位于第 5 段中间部分“ If T-rex was a top

predator, especially considering how big it is, you’d expect it to be extremely rare, much

rarer than the little dromaeosaurs, and yet they are everywhere, they are a dime a dozen”。

文中说如果霸王龙是顶级捕食者, 数量应该是稀少的, 但是它到处都是, 所以并不

是顶级捕食者。 也就是题目所说的“ ‘ 霸王龙是顶级捕食者’ 的假设与 Jack 的发现相

冲突”。 题目信息与原文内容相符, 因此正确答案为 TRUE。

6. 利用题目细节信息“ theory” 定位于第 5 段末句“ He insisted his theory and finding,

dedicated to further research upon it, of course, he would like to reevaluate if there is any

case that additional evidence found or explanation raised by others in the future”。 这里讲

到他坚信自己的理论和调查结果, 如果未来有其他人发现新的证据或解释, 他愿意

重新评估自己的理论。 而题目中“ refused to accept” 与原文信息相矛盾, 所以正确答

案为 FALSE。

7. 利用题目细节信息“ T-rex’s bones” 定位于第 6 段第 1 句话“ He examined the leg

bones of the T-rex”, 但是这里只讲到研究了“ T-rex’s bones”, 并未提及题目中的“ 是

第一位发现霸王龙骨头的人”。 题目信息在原文信息的基础上无法判断, 所以正确答

案为 NOT GIVEN。

Questions 8-13

解 答

8. 利用细节信息“ thigh bone” 定位于原文第 6 段第 2 句话“ He found that the thigh bone

was equal in length or slightly longer than the shin bone”。 原文中的“ thigh bone…longer

than the shin bone” 对应题目中的“ ...is shorter than the thigh bone”, 因此正确答案为

shin bone。

9. 利用顺序原则定位于第 6 段第 2 句话末尾“ which proves that the animal was built to be

a slow walker rather than fast running”。 题目中的“ demonstrates” 与原文中的“ proves”

为同义替换。 因此, 正确答案为 slow walker。

10. 利用细节信息“ ostrich” 定位于第 6 段末句“ the ostrich, cheetah, etc.” 显而易见, 正

确答案为 cheetah。

11. 利用细节信息“ built” 定位于第 6 段末句“ This same truth can be observed in many

animals of today which are designed to run fast”。 题目中的“ built” 有“ 身材较好, 天

生而成” 之意, 与原文中的“ designed” 相对应, 都是“ 天生” 之意, 因此正确答案

为 run fast。

12. 利用细节信息“ T-rex’s teeth” 定位于原文第 7 段末句“ The T-rex’s teeth were huge,

sharp at their tip, but blunt”。 考生很容易填写“ huge” 或“ sharp”, 但仔细阅读题目可

发现“ rather(相当)” 这个副词, 与原文中的“ but” 相对应, 都表示强调作用, 而

且题目还提到“ Another explanation supports his idea...”, 所以综上所述, 正确答案为

blunt。

13. 利用顺序原则定位于第 7 段末句“ propelled by enormous jaw muscles, which enabled

them to only crush bones”。 题目中的“ allowed T-rex to” 与原文中的“ enabled them

to” 都表示“ 使霸王龙能够”, 两者是同义替换, 因此正确答案为 crush。

参考译文

T-rex: Hunter or Scavenger?

霸王龙 :狩猎者或食腐者?

Jack Horner is an unlikely academic: his dyslexia is so bad that he has trouble reading a book.

But he can read the imprint of life in sandstone or muddy shale across a distance of 100 years,

and it is this gift that has made him curator of palaeontology at Montana State University’s

Museum of the Rockies, the leader of a multi-million dollar scientific project to expose a complete slice of life 68 million years ago, and a consultant to Steven Spielberg and other Hollywood figures.

杰克 · 霍勒(Jack Horner) 不太像是一位学者 : 他有非常严重的阅读障碍, 以致于他连

读一本书都很困难。 但是, 他却能读懂那些跨越百年的砂岩和泥页岩内的生命印记, 也

正是这一天赋, 使他成为了蒙大拿州立大学落基山古生物学博物馆的馆长。 同时, 他也

是耗资数百万美元的科研项目的领头人, 该项目旨在探索 6800 万年前完整的生命情况。

他还是斯蒂芬 · 斯皮尔伯格(Steven Spielberg) 导演和其他好莱坞名人的顾问。

His father had a sand and gravel quarry in Montana, and the young Horner was a collector of

stones and bones, complete with notes about when and where he found them. “My father had

owned a ranch when he was younger, in Montana,” he says. “He was enough of a geologist,

being a sand and gravel man, to have a pretty good notion that they were dinosaur bones. So

when I was eight years old he took me back to the area that had been his ranch, to where he had

seen these big old bones. I picked up one. I am pretty sure it was the upper arm bone of a duckbilled dinosaur: it probably wasn’t a duckbilled dinosaur but closely related to that. I catalogued

it, and took good care of it, and then later when I was in high school, excavated my first dinosaur skeleton. It obviously started earlier than eight and I literally have been driven ever since.

I feel like I was born this way.”

杰克 · 霍勒的父亲在蒙大拿州拥有一处砂砾采石场。 霍勒小时候就是一个石头和化石收

藏家, 他还会完整地记录他在何时何地发现这些化石骨头的。“ 我的父亲年轻的时候在

蒙大拿州拥有一座农场,” 杰克 · 霍勒说道 :“ 他整日流连于砂砾之间, 称得上是一位地

质学家, 他十分确定这些都是恐龙化石。 在我 8 岁的时候, 他带我回到那片曾经属于他

的农场。 在那里, 他见识过那些古老而巨大的化石。 我捡起了一块化石。 我敢肯定这块

骨头是一只鸭嘴恐龙的上臂骨 : 它可能不是一只完整的鸭嘴恐龙 , 但与其有很大的关系。

我将这块化石编目分类并细心保管。 后来, 在我上高中的时候, 我挖掘到了生平第一具

恐龙骨架。 我的兴趣显然始于 8 岁之前, 从那以后我就这样被这个爱好一步一步推动着

向前。 我觉得我生来就热爱此事。”

Horner spent seven years at university, but never graduated. “I have a learning disability, I

would call it a learning difference — dyslexia, they call it — and I just had a terrible time with

English and foreign languages and things like that. For a degree in geology or biology they

required two years of a foreign language. There was no way in the world I could do that. In fact,

I didn’t really pass English. So I couldn’t get a degree, I just wasn’t capable of it. But I took all

of the courses required and I wrote a thesis and I did all sorts of things. So I have the education,

I just don’t have the piece of paper.” he says.

霍勒花了 7 年的时间上大学, 但最终还是没能成功毕业。“ 我有学习障碍, 我称之为学习

差异——其他人则称之为阅读障碍——我在学习英语和外语以及类似的功课上很不顺利。

可是要获得地质学或生物学学位的话, 必须上两年的外语课。 我无论如何也没有办法做

到这点。 事实上, 我的英语考试都没及格。 所以我也没有办法获得学位, 我就是没办法

做到。 但是我上了所有必修课, 写了一篇论文, 并完成了各种各样的事情。 所以, 我还

是受过教育的, 只是没有拿到毕业证书那张纸而已。” 他如是说。

“We definitely know we are working on a very broad coastal plain with the streams and rivers

bordered by conifers and hardwood plants, and the areas in between these rivers were probably

fern-covered. There were no grasses at all: just ferns and bushes — an unusual landscape, kind

of taking the south-eastern United States — Georgia, Florida — and mixing it with the moors

of England and flattening it out,” he says. “Triceratops is very common: they are the cows of

the Cretaceous, they are everywhere. Duckbilled dinosaurs are relatively common but not as

common as triceratops and T-rex, for a meat-eating dinosaur, is very common. What we would

consider the predator-prey ratio seems really off the scale. What is interesting is the little dromaeosaurs, the ones we know for sure were good predators, are haven’t been found.”

“ 我们都知道, 我们正在对一个非常广阔的海岸平原进行研究, 那里有小溪和河流, 周围

有针叶和阔叶植物, 而这些河流之间的区域很可能被蕨类植物覆盖着。 完全没有草类,只有蕨类植物和灌木——这是一种很不寻常的景观, 有点像是把美国东南部(比如, 佐

治亚州或佛罗里达州) 与英格兰的沼泽混合后再压扁的结果。” 他说 :“ (这一带) 三角

龙极为常见 : 它们就如同白垩纪时期的奶牛, 到处都是。 鸭嘴恐龙也较为常见, 但没有

食肉的霸王龙和三角龙多。 因此, 我们所说的猎食比率似乎真的严重失衡了。 有趣的是,

有一种我们都明确知道的很厉害的食肉动物——小驰龙, 至今都还没发现。”

That is why he sees T-rex not as the lion of the Cretaceous savannah but its vulture. “Look at

the wildebeest that migrate in the Serengeti of Africa, a million individuals lose about 200,000

individuals in that annual migration. There is a tremendous carrion base there. And so you have

hyenas, you have tremendous numbers of vultures that are scavenging, you don’t have all that

many animals that are good predators. If T-rex was a top predator, especially considering how

big it is, you’d expect it to be extremely rare, much rarer than the little dromaeosaurs, and yet

they are everywhere, they are a dime a dozen,” he says. A 12-tonne T-rex is a lot of vulture, but

he doesn’t see the monster as clumsy. He insisted his theory and finding, dedicated to further

research upon it, of course, he would like to reevaluate if there is any case that additional evidence found or explanation raised by others in the future.

这也是为什么他认为霸王龙并不像白垩纪时期草原上的狮子, 而是像秃鹫。“ 看看这些在

非洲塞伦盖蒂平原迁徙的牛羚们, 在每年的迁徙中, 100 万只牛羚大概只有 80 万可以活

到最后。在那儿有一座巨大的腐肉基地。因此,你可以看到土狼和非常多的秃鹫,它们会 “ 清

理掉” 这些腐肉, 毕竟不是所有的动物都是厉害的捕食者。 如果霸王龙是顶级的捕食者,

特别是考虑到其身形大小时, 你会认为它应该是极其稀少的, 至少比那些小驰龙要稀少

得多, 但事实上它们到处都是, 多得很。” 他说。 一只 12 吨的霸王龙相当于许多只秃鹫,

但霍勒并不认为这种巨兽行动起来是笨拙的。 他坚持他的理论和发现, 并致力于在此基

础之上做更深层的研究。 当然, 如果将来有其他人发现另外的证据或解释, 他也愿意重

新评估自己的研究。

He examined the leg bones of the T-rex, and compared the length of the thigh bone (upper leg),

to the shin bone (lower leg). He found that the thigh bone was equal in length or slightly longer

than the shin bone, and much thicker and heavier, which proves that the animal was built to

be a slow walker rather than fast running. On the other hand, the fossils of fast hunting dinosaurs always showed that the shin bone was longer than the thigh bone. This same truth can be

observed in many animals of today which are designed to run fast: the ostrich, cheetah, etc.

他还研究了霸王龙的腿骨, 并比较了其股(大腿) 骨和胫(小腿) 骨的长度。 他发现霸

王龙的股骨长度等于或稍长于其胫骨, 而且更粗更重, 这表明, 这种动物天生行走比较

缓慢, 并不适合快速奔跑。 另一方面, 从那些行动迅速的狩猎恐龙的化石来看, 它们的胫骨通常比大腿骨长。 从今天许多天生奔跑迅速的动物(例如鸵鸟、 猎豹等) 身上, 我

们可以观察得出同样的结论。

He also studied the fossil teeth of the T-rex, and compared them with the teeth of the Velociraptor, and put the nail in the coffin of the “hunter T-rex theory” . The Velociraptor’s teeth which

like stake knifes: sharp, razor-edged, and capable of tearing through flesh with ease. The T-rex’s

teeth were huge, sharp at their tip, but blunt, propelled by enormous jaw muscles, which

enabled them to only crush bones.

他还研究了霸王龙的牙齿化石, 并将其与迅猛龙的牙齿进行了比较, 从而对“ 霸王龙狩

猎者理论” 定下了结论。 迅猛龙的牙齿就像刀锋一般 : 尖锐、 锋利, 可以毫不费力地撕

开猎物的血肉。 霸王龙的牙齿则比较巨大, 牙尖很尖, 但是比较钝, 通过其巨大的下颌

肌肉推动, 也仅仅只能碾碎猎物的骨头。

With the evidence presented in his documentary, Horner was able to prove that the idea of the

T-rex as being a hunting and ruthless killing machine is probably just a myth. In light of the

scientific clues he was able to unearth, the T-rex was a slow, sluggish animal which had poor

vision, an extraordinary sense of smell, that often reached its “prey” after the real hunters were

done feeding, and sometimes it had to scare the hunters away from a corpse. In order to do that,

the T-rex had to have been ugly, nasty-looking, and stinky. This is actually true of nearly all

scavenger animals. They are usually vile and nasty looking.

通过其纪录片中所展示的证据, 霍勒能够证明, 霸王龙是残忍的猎杀机器这一猜想也许

只是不实之说。 根据他所发现的科学线索, 霸王龙是一种行动缓慢、 反应迟钝的动物。

它的视力不佳, 但是嗅觉极好, 经常在真正的狩猎动物吃饱之后发现“ 猎物”, 而且有时

候它不得不把这些狩猎者从猎物尸体旁吓走。 为了做到这一点, 霸王龙必须是外貌丑陋、

凶恶而且浑身散发恶臭的。 几乎所有的食腐动物都是如此, 它们通常是肮脏、 丑陋的。

推荐资料:

雅思资料下载

分享到: 更多
标签:
9分达人雅思