麻将的一张牌：a tile [tail]
饼子：the circle/dots tiles
条子：the bamboo tiles
万子：the character tiles
番子：the honor tiles (dragon tiles+wind tiles)
吃：Chow, claiming a tile to match a sequence
碰：Pung, claiming a tile to match a triplet
杠：Kong, claiming a tile for a quadruplet
和：claiming a tile to win
筹码：counter; chip; dib
出张：discarding a tile
上家：opponent on the left
下家：opponent on the right
对门：opponent sitting opposite to one
三缺一：three players looking for one more player
洗牌：shuffling the tiles
连庄：remaining the dealer
砌牌：forming the wall of stacks
一番：one time (in scoring)
进张：drawing a useful tile
对碰：waiting for two tiles to win; making two pairs
扣牌：holding up a tile
听牌：waiting for the one necessary tile to win
暗杠：drawing a tile by oneself, making four similar tiles of a kind and putting them face down
暗坎：concealing 3-tiles in order of a kind
八圈：eight rounds of play
缺一门：lacking a suit
抢杠：robbing a gong
单钓：waiting for one of the pair to win
单听：awaiting the only one necessary tile to win
地和：going out or winning a hand after drawing only one tile
吊牌：fishing; awaiting one's winning tile
对对胡：winning with all paired tiles；all triplets
自摸：winning by one's own draw；self-drawn
拦和：be won by one's left or opposing opponent with the same tile one needs
平和：a win without points
杠上开花：drawing a tile, after a gang, from the end of the wall to win the game；added glory to agong
清一色：all of one suit; flush; having all tiles in one suit
门(前)清：all concealed hand
十三幺：the thirteen orphans(1,9,and one of each character)；13 terminal tiles
天和：a natural win; a heavenly hand
一条龙：a complete sequence from 1 to 9
混一色：mixed one suit
小三元：junior 3 chiefs
大三元：grand 3 chiefs
海底捞月：catching the moon from the bottom of the sea
小四喜：junior 4 happiness
大四喜：grand 4 happiness
清一色：pure one suit
字一色：all honor tiles
诈和：declaring a false win；falsely declaring a win
做相公：be unconscious of a shortage or surplus of tiles
大/小相公：long or short hand
1. One good thing about mahjong is that people don't need to speak fluent Chinese to play the game.
2. Mahjong creates a bridge between cultures, a level of understanding, possibly not a thorough understanding, but at least appreciation for the culture and the artistry.
3. Mahjong is commonly seen as a quintessential asset of Chinese culture, along with Beijing Opera, calligraphy and martial arts. It is the No. 1 social game for Chinese, especially for businessmen who close many deals at mahjong tables.
4. Mahjong is a complex game that requires skill, strategy and certain degree of chance.
5. I think women need this, because they are working so hard, so this is like their time. They can get together and play a game. It's fun. Everybody has a good time.
6. It's a game that's very easy to learn. It's what you need. All the women love to play the game. It's very social and it's a great way of making friends.
8. I think it's an opportunity for some socialization without having to travel a long distance or go to a large club.
9. I'm telling you this, if you don't want to get dementia, come play mahjong with us.
10. Fifty percent of Jewish women probably have a mahjong set. Everybody remembers the sound of the tiles, the characters, the bamboo and the dots.
11. It's a fun game that never gets old! I've had this game on my iPad for 3 years and now on my phone and I play it almost daily! It's great for waiting at the doctor's or trying to doze off at night and keeps the mind sharp! Very catchy, and easy to play.